Most traditional inn in the SauerlandHistory
The bar inscription above the entrance of the inn "1460 - 1774 - 1949" tells the history of our family.
Demonstrably in the 18th generation "Schütten" work here on their own farm. Travelers have been hosted for about three centuries.
A long time, which we would like to introduce to you here in a very short time - and as far as documented in old archives - by calling up a year of your choice and informing yourself about the history of our Landhotel.
The main building will be partly demolished and extended. After two years of planning down to the last detail, local craftsmen are producing a true masterpiece with the construction of the "Hirschberghaus" within six weeks.
The new rooms combine harmony and zeitgeist with a wonderful view of and over the half-timbered idyll of Oberkirchen. Built-in saunas provide for private spa relaxation, the balcony is recommended as a relaxation room, and the fitness room with a panoramic view "under the roof" for personal workout.
The "Alte Strickerei" is being converted and extended into a luxury holiday apartment. Two floors of the Giersberghaus will also be extensively renovated: Various rooms will become family rooms or apartments via doors and openings. Artful glass works, warm colours, noble woods and fabrics turn these rooms into oases of well-being with private wellness bath.
The crowning achievement of this continuous expansion was the conversion of the entire bathing area in 1997.
Since 1994, Karl Anton Schütte has been running this sophisticated house with many new ideas in the development of new apartments and the design of the wine and menu.
In these years, the current Giersberghaus was built in stages with contemporary bedrooms and apartments, indoor swimming pool, dining room, new kitchen and large living hall with party room. The old house remained unchanged and retained its special charm, the new extensions were designed to meet today's requirements.
In this year Anton Schütte (1926 - 1994) and his wife Gertrud, née Feldmann-Hömberg, were able to carry out a decisive expansion of the company by purchasing the neighbouring property. The photo of the couple was taken in the early 70s.
The last number in the beam above the entrance door reminds of the restoration and reopening of the inn after the terrible war events in Oberkirchen (Easter 1945).
Friedrich Anton (1806-1847) developed the old inn into a new inn. At the turn of the century, migration and hunting brought the first foreign guests to the Sauerland, who then stayed at the inn. Conversions and extensions became necessary. In addition to agriculture and forestry, which was intensively pursued until the fifties, a completely new trade developed. The first holiday guest, called Sommerfrischler, arrived in 1896.
With "Die Acht vom Sauerland" the first cooperation of the leading hotels in the Sauerland was founded at the beginning of the 20th century. It still exists today - but under the new name "Landhotels im Sauerland".
1806 - 1847: Friedrich Anton Schütte recognises the central position of Oberkirchen as a church village in the upper Lennetal for the surrounding farming communities of Almert, Wolfskuhle, Vorwald and small villages of Winkhausen, Niedersorpe, Nordenau, Westfeld, Lengenbeck and Inderlenne. Throughout his life he developed the old inn into a new inn and thus laid the foundation for the hospitality in the Schütte house.
1860: Wilhelm Schütte refuses the Prussian duty, emigrates via London to America and founds a large trading company there
1717: Johann Hermann Schütte, who made a name for himself as a farmer's judge, operates an iron hammer on the Lenne river flowing past the farm in addition to the farm. With the hammer, which is driven by water power, he forges iron as a so-called semi-finished product for the production of consumer goods common at that time.
1774: The farm burns down. Alderman Johann Hermann Schütte and his wife Christine Vollmers build a new, large half-timbered house. At their own expense from bought timber - as the old Latin house inscription reports.
as of 1700
The inn in Oberkirchen, situated on the old trade route from Cologne to Leipzig, was already a hostel for travellers with horse-drawn carriages and carts in the early 18th century. Here the horses were changed for the arduous route over the Kahler Asten.
The travellers found rest and refreshment; in the tavern they were served home-made schnapps and beer and in the small general store (today's farmhouse tavern) they found what they needed for the journey. Hand-forged iron rings in the old walls have remained, to which the horses of the travellers and visitors to the inn were tied.
Older bills of fare note not only food and lodging but also stable space, straw and forage.
1460: Domius Petrus Schütte, ancestor of a long line of ancestors, starts farming the farm. As free farmers he and his family belonged to the nearby Kloster Grafschaft, a Benedictine abbey founded in 1072.
1551: The genealogical table names Simon Schütte, who was an official and commander of the garrison at Burg Bilstein. The crossbow in our coat of arms probably results from this time. This symbol for the marksman is also the origin of our name Schütte.
1629: Johann Schütte leases the customs office on the old trade route between Cologne and Leipzig for 12 Reichstaler.